The Bachelor of Health Science (Dance) develops students understanding of synergies between dance and health science to facilitate work in public and private organisations across a range of occupations.
Given the main instrument in dance is the human body, students will learn how to apply scientific principles to dance movements, and develop a greater understanding of dance techniques and risks associated with improper execution.
Interested in studying with ACPE?
A snapshot of the Bachelor of Health Science (Dance)
- Course duration
3 years full time or part time equivalent
- Study mode
Face to face with selected subjects available online
- Online learning
Selected subjects available online
Online subjects are taught with a viable cohort of students. If the cohort is not the right size for interactive learning students may be asked to attend on campus.
2 March 2020
27 July 2020
FEE-HELP approved (for domestic students)
Payment plans & direct payment available
Tuition payment arrangements must be confirmed upon admission to the college.
- Transfer credit
An applicant may apply for an assessment of their prior learning at the time of applying for entry to an award course of the college.
Course links and downloads
Important information about the Bachelor of Health Science (Dance) which you can view, download or share.
An overview of the Bachelor of Health Science (Dance).
About the course
The Bachelor of Health Science (Dance) is a specialised degree that uniquely combines the art of dance with scientific principles.
This innovative new dance course leverages ACPE’s longstanding expertise in Dance and Health & Movement, resulting in a qualification that offers substantial vocational skill and expertise across the breadth of the health science and dance discipline.
This new course will serve to educate aspiring dance practitioners, health and dance researchers, dance educators and dance therapists alike about all aspects fundamental to the science of movement for dance. Given the main instrument in dance is the human body, students will learn how to apply scientific principles to dance movements, and develop a greater understanding of dance techniques and the risks associated with improper execution. Through this course students will gain an insight into somatic education systems and their application to the learning and teaching of dance technique.
The Bachelor of Health Science (Dance) is divided into three major study areas.
- The Determinants of Health (Core) Stream introduces students to health promotion principles and provides an understanding of the social, psychological and cultural factors influencing general health and wellbeing.
- The Bioscience (Core) Stream provides a background in the structure and function of the human body and explores the concepts of exercise physiology.
- The Dance (Major) Stream provides students a background in dance with a scientific and evidence based approach to health and dance.
The full time course structure for the Bachelor of Health Science (Dance).
The Bachelor of Health Science (Dance) Degree can be completed in three years of full-time study. The degree program is divided into six semesters.
- Foundations of Dance (Work Integrated Learning – WIL)
- Understanding Health
- Chemistry I
- Application of Maths and Statistics for Health and Sport
- Dance Composition 1
- Biology I
- Musculoskeletal Anatomy & Physiology
- Biochemistry and Nutrition
- Dance History
- Classical Dance Styles
- Systems Anatomy & Physiology
- Applied Exercise Physiology
- Popular Dance Styles
- Dance and Somatics
- Principles of Health Promotion
- Dance Composition II
- Professional Integrity
- Human Pathophysiology and Pharmacology
- Research Design and Epidemiology
- Research in Action (Dance)
- Health and Physical Assessments
Students undertake one of the following three electives:
- Small Business Management Principles
- Exercise Prescription Throughout the Lifespan
- Dance Performance
Discover where a Bachelor of Health Science (Dance) degree can take you.
If you’re ready to take your love of dance and movement to the next level, then the Bachelor of Health Science (Dance) from ACPE is perfect for you. Study the science of multiple dance techniques with like-minded students, while you practice what you have learnt in our state-of-the-art dance studios. Graduates can find employment in a range of private and public institutions, with further study options available for ambitious students who want to forge a career in the education or health industry.
- Studio Based Teacher
- Dance Studio Consultant
- Dance Researcher
- Rehabilitation and Performance Advisor
Further study options
- Health Care Professional
- Private Dance Teacher
- Qualified Dance Teacher
We offer a convenient online application form for direct enrolment in to all of our degrees (Domestic students only).
ENROL BY PHONE
Monday to Friday 9.00am – 5.00pm AEDST
KNOW YOUR STUDY COMMITMENTS
Prior to commencing your study with us, please ensure you understand our intake & census dates, fee schedules, entry requirements and terms & conditions of study.