English Language Requirements
For entry into ACPE courses you have to meet the minimum English Language requirements.
If you are from an English Speaking background or education (first language speaker of English) The list includes: Students who have citizenship or permanent long term residency (minimum 10 years) from one or more of the following countries and have completed secondary or tertiary study from one of these countries.
You can meet the entry requirement if:
• Your first language is English; or
• You have completed your final four years of secondary schooling at an institution that teaches entirely in English.
i. Secondary Schooling or equivalent:
Students who complete their HSC in NSW should complete English Standard or English Advanced.
Students who complete English studies may still be eligible for entry but may require additional support or may require a reduced enrolment load.
ii. Tertiary Study (including VET and Higher Education):
You need satisfactory completion of ONE of the following:
- The equivalent of an Australian Cert IV course or higher that has been approved by ACPE as requiring sufficient English skills
- Study in an English medium vocational institution equivalent to at least one year of full time study at an Australian VET diploma level or higher.
- At leat two units of higher education study (minimum 12 credit points) of which at least one is an English rich unit, taken as part of an award or non-award course.
iii. English Language Course
English Language Preparatory courses aren’t normally accepted for applicants whose secondary schooling was taught entirely in English. Applications are subject to approval by the CEO and Dean on a case-by-case basis.
iv. English Test
If you apply and meet all the entry requirements except the English requirements, you may be asked to sit a STAT test to demonstrate your English Proficiency. This requires approval from the CEO and Dean.
If you are from an Non-English speaking background or education
You can meet the English language requirements through any of the ways listed below if
- You are from a non-English speaking background or
- You haven’t completed your final four years of secondary schooling at an institution that teaches entirely in English.
- Time limits may apply to the evidence you provide to demonstrate your proficiency.
i. Tertiary study (VET and higher education)
You need satisfactory completion of study in an English medium educational institution equivalent to one year full time study at Australian VET diploma level or higher or at undergraduate award level or higher.
ii. English language course
You require satisfactory completion of a preparatory course in English at the appropriate level. ACPE has a formal articulation agreement with Navitas English. Students who complete Academic English 3 with a 65% overall score and no skill lower than 65% are able to gain entry into ACPE courses.
iii. English Test
Students whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate English proficiency by one of the following means:
- Academic IELTS overall score of at least 6.5, with a minimum 6.0 in each of the reading, writing, listening and speaking subtests.
- TOEFL iBT with a minimum of 85 overall and a minimum of 22 for writing. TOEFL paper based test scores are not accepted.
- PTE Academic with a minimum of 61 overall score with a minimum of
- Cambridge English Scale (CAE and CPE) – minimum of 176.
- Academic IELTS overall score of at least 7.5, and with no score below 7.0 and a score of no less than 8 in speaking and listening