Collective Leisure in collaboration with Auburn Youth Centre, is delivering a sports mentoring program specifically for young adults aged between 18-25 from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities. The project is designed to improve physical, mental and emotional well-being. It will also support participants growth and confidence by providing training and employment opportunities in the sport and leisure industry.
The purpose of the program is to break-down barriers and increase young people’s access to and inclusion in the community and training and employment. Funding was received from NSW’s Government Youth Opportunities Fund to create the program, support young people enabling them to:
- overcome barriers to participating in the community.
- build community-based partnerships and networks.
- feel a greater sense of belonging within their community.
- feel empowered, as their ideas and opinions are respected, considered and acted upon.
- gain relevant training to support their participation.
- feel more confident within themselves and their abilities, having expanded their knowledge and skills.
- seek further opportunities to participate and stay engaged in their community.
Collective Leisure Founder & CEO, David Burns, shared “there is an abundance of talented young people in Western Sydney that are passionate about sport and leisure but struggle to find opportunities. The SMP is designed as a pathway to developing their potential, providing training and support and using sport and well-being practices to help build their confidence and break down barriers to securing employment in the leisure industry. We are excited about our collaboration of partners and the impact of the program.”
ACPE will add value to the program through providing educational and development support throughout, create further learning opportunities for all through its extensive partner network, allow participants to access ACPE facilities for specific sessions and provide one partial scholarship to a participant interested in studying a course with ACPE.
The program is flexible and will be adapted with young people sharing responsibility for planning, design, delivery and evaluation. The below benefits outline what is included for all participants:
- Play sports weekly
- Gain a qualification in First aid and CPR
- Gain a Swim teacher qualification through Royal Life NSW + Gain a Pool lifeguard qualification through Royal Life NSW + Fitness course by TAFE NSW
- Job readiness course by TAFE NSW
- Build habits and learn about well-being
- Career in the leisure industry
- Build confidence and self-esteem
- Improve your well-being
- Become a leader in your community
- Guest speaker session with an NRL athlete
- Access to the ACPE Gym
- Tours of ACPE partners (Hockey NSW, GWS, NSWRL)
- Access to educational resources and support delivered by ACPE
- One participant will also be awarded a reduced scholarship at the Australian College of Physical Education (ACPE).