On the 12th of November, 2020 ACPE held the inaugural Sports Industry Summit which was attended by 234 delegates both on campus and via Zoom. The event was put together by students in their final year of study in the Bachelor of Sports Business (Leadership) and supported by staff from the sports business and sports performance departments.
The all-day event included a keynote address from Professor Michael Buckland, who is the Founder and Executive Director of the Australian Brain Bank. His research is aligned with that of the Concussion Legacy Foundation in the United States.
On top of this we held three-panel sessions, which included the following sports professionals:
Panel: Future of Sport – Hosted by Simon Hill
- Clare Prideaux (President of Oceania Hockey)
- David Trodden (CEO NSWRL)
- Anter Isaac ( CEO Kleinmann Wang and the Chairman of Football NSW)
- James Ellender (CEO ActiveXchange)
- Kirin Lindop (CEO Athletics NSW)
- Neil Stanley (Head Coach West Tigers Women’s Elite Team)
Panel: Professional Sports Organisations (Macarthur FC) – Hosted by Daniel Garb
- Ante Milicic (Head Coach)
- Anthony Siciliano (Senior Football Manager)
- Anthony Crea (Head of Performance)
- Mark Milligan (Inaugural Captain)
Panel: Wellbeing in Professional Sport (joint Hosts of Sam Lane and Dr Tilda Khoshaba)
- Russell Packer (Wests Tigers Athlete)
- David Gower (Retired Athlete and no Welfare Manager)
- Gavin and Kasey Badger (NRL Referees)
- Kevin Lisch (Retired Sydney Kings Captain)
- Dean Feeney (Parramatta Eels Welfare Manager and U20s Coach)
The event was a success and highlighted the strengths of ACPE and reaffirmed why we a premier sport’s higher education provider. The summit showcased our students, collaboration between departments across the college, and the quality partnerships that we have in place. The aim for 2021 is to build on the success of the summit, by holding monthly events, culminating in a 2-day event in December 2021 which will include, keynotes, panels, workshops, and research-based sessions.